QuickBooks can be a tremendously powerful tool for your business. If you’re not careful, it can also be a bit of a time sink. The accounting aspect of your business is important, and it’s important enough to spend time on; that said, you don’t want to waste time.
Fortunately, there are some things you can do to speed up your use of QuickBooks. Here are 10 ways to get the most from QuickBooks in the least amount of time:
- Exceed the system requirements. You’re going to be waiting for windows to open and screens to switch if you don’t have enough computing power behind QuickBooks.
- Keep your computer free of viruses and spyware. Not only do these put your data at risk, they slow down performance.
- Close other windows when possible. This, too, will speed up the system performance when you’re using QuickBooks.
- Learn frequently used shortcuts. There are a variety of hotkeys and menu shortcuts available. Which ones you use depend, to a large degree, on exactly what you do with QuickBooks.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the software. The more confident and comfortable you are using it, the faster you’ll be.
- Turn off automatic updates for QuickBooks. Automatic updates are useful, but you don’t need to have it running constantly. Consider turning it on only at the beginning of the month.
- Make a few changes to preferences. You can turn off the audit trail, the Navigator, and a number of warnings and reminders. These should all speed things up, and result in fewer overall clicks.
- Make use of customer profiles. Many of your customers will have similar characteristics. Use profiles to save time when entering customer data.
- Consider desktop QuickBooks over QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Online may be more convenient, but accessing it is usually slower than the desktop version.
- Minimize Add-Ons. There are many useful add-ons for QuickBooks. They don’t all need to run every time you start it up.