With more companies being managed on the go, it has become increasingly important that business owners have access to financial data when away from the office. QuickBooks offered one solution in the form of QuickBooks Online, but the limitations of this software left users searching for better options. Intuit, the developers of QuickBooks, now offers QuickBooks Hosting for clients who want to combine the ease of remote access with the functionality of the desktop software.
Limitations of QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online was designed for small and startup organizations that are frequently not managed from one central location. Users pay a monthly subscription fee for the right to access QuickBooks software programs through a secure log-in. While it does allow for greater flexibility in handling company’s finances, QuickBooks Online does have some serious limitations, including:
- Certain modules are not available, such as payroll and inventory tracking.
- It is a completely different version of QuickBooks, so if you are running a desktop version, you will have to purchase new software.
- You cannot access your company data if the server is down or if you lose your internet connection.
- There is a limit to the number of users who can access data, and only one user can use company files at a time.
- Although generally secure, there is a possibility of a hacker breaking into your server and accessing your company data.
How is QuickBooks Hosting Different?
QuickBooks Hosting combines the best of both worlds, offering remote access to all of your company data with all the functionality of the desktop software. This is because QuickBooks Hosting does not utilize cloud computing but allows full access to your QuickBooks files while the software resides on a third party server. Users do need an internet connection, which is main difference between the desktop version and the hosted one. In nearly every other aspect, QuickBooks Hosting is the same as the desktop version, with the key advantages of remote access and multiple user access.
How to Access QuickBooks Hosting
You can access your company files at any time from any device using QuickBooks Hosting. The best way to do this is through a terminal server connection, such as Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. Access is gained through an icon on your desktop or laptop, or you can launch an app on your tablet or smartphone. Within seconds you have access to the exact same QuickBooks records and modules you use while in the office.
QuickBooks Hosting offers business owners some key advantages over both the desktop version and QuickBooks Online. These include:
- Remote access to all QuickBooks files and modules
- Multiple user access to files at the same time
- Files can be downloaded to your desktop for storage
- You will always have the latest version of the software without having to purchase upgrades
QuickBooks Hosting is also much more secure than QuickBooks Online. With hosting, information is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology using 128-bit encryption. Hackers are far less likely to be able to access your sensitive data. In addition, files are also backed up regularly so you no longer have to be worried about finding your own backup solution or a data recovery plan.
Online computing is becoming increasingly popular, but not all solutions work well. While QuickBooks Online could be suitable for very small companies with limited financial management concerns, QuickBooks Hosting offers the best solution for many companies. Combining the best of desktop and cloud computing, hosting gives companies the flexibility they want with the functionality they need to properly manage and grow the business.